Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

Write to Elder Butterfield:

Current address:

Elder Nathan Butterfield
19014 Hickory Street
Sonoma CA 95476


Previous addresses:

155 Kathy Ellen Dr.
Vallejo, CA 94951

WEEK 1 IN THE MISSION FIELD: New Companion, General Conference.

Week 1!

October 6, 2014

Hey everyone!

So, a ton happened, and I really don't want to write it all down, but I guess I'll try…

The first day in the California was pretty boring. We basically just sat down in a room and got training on all sorts of information (like money, housing, cars, etc) for like 5 hours. Then we got our iPads! They were already assigned to a specific missionary, and guess what! Mine was broken. So I'm the only missionary in the mission without an iPad, but I'm doing fine. Haha. Hopefully I'll get it this week. If not, it means they're sending it to Utah, and it'll be a few weeks. The first night we spent in a hotel, it was really nice!

The next day we all went back to the mission office (which is actually like the high council room in a stake center) and were assigned companions! Before the assignations, President gave us some time to just talk and get to know each other. For some reason, I felt like I should go talk to a specific Elder. His name was Elder Akhmetov! His parents are Russian, he was born in Germany, lived in Spain for 11 years, but came from Provo! It was really interesting. We talked about all the places I had lived too. Then some Hermanas from my MTC District wanted to take a picture with me, so he acted as my companion in the picture. (Cause to take pictures with girls; you need a companion in the picture).

When President made the assignments, Elder Akhmetov and I were the first to be assigned together! He later told me that he had bet another elder 10 bucks that we would be companions, before we had even met. That was pretty cool! We get along really well; I'm excited to serve with him! We were assigned to the Vallejo area; the most dangerous city in all of Northern California, hahaha. A couple people were shot last month and another dead body was found last week. The body was found on the same street that some of our investigators live on! Hahaha, fun stuff :) But don't worry, we're protected by the Lord, and we're not stupid. We'll be fine.

This week has been really weird because of conference. We also had a bunch of different meetings this week, so there wasn't as much time to study or teach as we normally have. This week should be a little more normal!

We live in a 4 man apartment, with the ZLs. One of them is called Elder Minhondo. He lives in the Nash's ward in Centerville! He actually reminds me a loooot of Spencer. He's an awesome elder!

We speak English basically 100% of the time that we aren't teaching. Most of our contacts are in English so we have to pass them over to the English elders. It's a little frustrating, but it doesn't bother me too much. God doesn't ask us to find new investigators every day, he just tells us to do our best, and work our hardest, and that'll be enough. I'm not too worried about the success, that'll come when it comes.

Conference was awesome! We listened to it in English. I really, really loved the Saturday afternoon session. It was really powerful!

I miss you all, but I'm loving the mission! It's been in the high 90's. it should cool down pretty soon. Have a great week everyone!

Love,
Elder Butterfield

PS: The Spanish hasn't been a problem, everything just seems to work out. The President did interview us before assigning us, so that’s good. The ZLs are Spanish. And the City is not huge, but it’s not small either. Our area actually covers two cities: Vallejo and Benicia.

We just played basketball for a few hours, and it was awesome!! They didn’t stand a chance ;) haha, just kidding!

hahaha, assignments (instead of assignations) would probably be better.. hahaha. Even though I am not using my Spanish often, it's coming a lot easier! I can speak pretty confidently and smoothly during the lessons. And yeah, they shaved it (my hair) all off in the MTC!

I heard about all the upsets in the top 10! That’s crazy! Too bad for BYU though... 

We watched conference in English! I was really grateful because it was such an awesome weekend and I learned so much! Conference was awesome! It was a really different experience listening to it as a missionary… There were about 10 of us missionaries that had the whole chapel to ourselves to watch, because everybody else is watching at home nowadays, haha. I'm loving California! Hope you have a great week!!

Love, 
Nate


Here's a beautiful picture of me and my companion. hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment