Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

Write to Elder Butterfield:

Current address:

Elder Nathan Butterfield
19014 Hickory Street
Sonoma CA 95476


Previous addresses:

155 Kathy Ellen Dr.
Vallejo, CA 94951

Week 8: Happy Thanksgiving!

November 24, 2014

Well guys, I guess first I should apologize for not writing last week. I was pretty busy and I didn't have much to write about, so sorry!


So, I think I saw the most disturbing thing of my whole mission last Monday. In the evening, after dinner, we were giving a couple Elders a ride to an appointment, and on the side of the road, under a street light (it was already dark outside), there was a man squatting off the back of his bike, without his pants on. I guess there were no public bathrooms nearby, or something. Hahaha, that was a wonderful sight.


On Tuesday, the next day, we went on exchanges! I got to go with a super cool Elder from Orem. He's our District Leader's companion. The DL (District Leader) came to our area with my companion, and I went to their area. They don't have a car, so we walked, and walked, and walked. We talked to some really cool people, and I learned a ton from Elder Jeske about talking to people and how to get people talking back.

That night, when we came back to the apartment, we had a snack, and Elder Jeske was cutting a Habanera pepper up and putting it in his food. For any of you who have never tried a Habanera, they're hot. Like, really, really, really, "my face is on fire and I can’t feel my mouth," hot. Well, later on that night, we had our companionship prayer. At the end of the prayer, he just looked up at me, with his eyes still closed, and said, "You’ll never guess what just happened." He had forgotten to wash his hands, and he touched his eye with Habanera juice! When he opened his eye, tears immediately started streaming down his face and he started yelling, hahaha. It was awful, but also, really, really, funny, hahaha.


So I'm not sure if you've guys noticed yet, but it’s THANKSGIVING SEASON! I've been told that this is the best holiday for missionaries out here, and I believe it! Last Thursday we had our first Thanksgiving dinner! We had some AWESOME turkey. There were potatoes, green beans, mac n cheese, and stuffing. Just like at home :) (Except none of it was as good as mom's!!) I really miss mom's green bean casserole, and au gratin potatoes! Those where the best!


On Friday, the next day, we had our Branch Thanksgiving party! Our branch throws a party basically every single week. They like to get together and eat food, a lot, haha. We had some really good turkey/stuffing sandwiches and some AWESOME Horchata. I loooove all of the Mexican food and drinks we get here! We have a super solid new investigator that we just found this week who showed up as well! When we invited her to the party, we didn't know what time it was at, so we said we'd get back to her. Well, we tried our best, but we just couldn't get a hold of her to tell her! She showed up and told us that she didn't know what time it was at, but had just assumed it would be around 6, and she was right! haha. She also told us that she wouldn't be able to make it to church, but then showed up out of the blue! It's so weird, cause usually it's the exact opposite, where they tell you they'll be there, but then don't show up. I'm not complaining though!! :)

On Saturday morning, we had a training session from the President and his wife, and the tech Elders. They are bringing Facebook back to our mission, so we will be getting on that, probably a little after Christmastime. We also had interviews with the President! My interview was super positive, and just such an awesome experience :) I'm looking forward to only having positive interviews with him, while I'm out here, haha. I also interviewed with his wife, and that was awesome too.

Yesterday was a pretty regular Sunday. Church was about 3 1/2 hours again, so that's cool. After church, one of the counselors in the branch presidency asked Elder Akhmetov and I to speak next week, so that should be fun. It'll only be us two speaking, and he told us to take as much time as we want (I guess that's why we always go over). I asked him what time church was supposed to end, and he said, around 12:30, but that we should just take as long as we want. He said that usually at around 12:45, if it sounds like the speaker is still going on, they ask them to hurry it up a little. So that answers the mystery of why church always goes so long!

I guess that's about it for this week! Hope it makes up for last week! I love you all and hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving!! I'm looking forward to a whole bunch more Thanksgiving dinners this week :)

Love you!
Elder Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment