Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

Write to Elder Butterfield:

Current address:

Elder Nathan Butterfield
19014 Hickory Street
Sonoma CA 95476


Previous addresses:

155 Kathy Ellen Dr.
Vallejo, CA 94951

WEEK 13: Not-So-White Christmas

December 29, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

How's everyone doing? I hope everyone had an awesome Christmas, cause I sure did! :) I talked to most of you on Christmas day, and that was awesome. I remember last Christmas when we all crowded around the computer on the dining room table, to talk to Megan. It was weird being on the other side of the screen this year! I was worried that talking to you would make me a little homesick, or trunkie, as they say out here in the mission field, haha. Luckily it didn't!

Christmas as a missionary is definitely a different experience than any other Christmas. On Christmas Eve, we had dinner with some brand new recent converts who made us Posole at the church. We decided that since they are so new to the church that we would surprise them with acting out the Nativity Scene for them! I was Joseph, and Elder Mathusek was Mary. Haha, it was sooo much fun. I don't remember a ton about our Christmases back when we were in the DR, but I do vaguely remember acting out the Nativity with the missionaries! I remember everyone dressing up and one of the missionaries was always the Donkey! This brought back some good memories :). We didn't have any real costumes so we tied towels to our heads with ties, and used bathrobes and other random props we had laying around :).

On Christmas day we had planned to go and learn how to make flan and tortilla at a members house, but when we got there, they said that we were a day late! Hispanics celebrate Christmas on the 24th, so that’s what they meant by Christmas day. I was so bummed! Luckily they invited us over for New Years! (December 31st, we checked.) I'm super excited :)

I don’t have a ton to write about this week, but I will talk about one really good lesson with a less active/non-member family where we showed a Mormon message called Enduring Love, or something like that (Amor Duradero). They both broke down crying, with tears streaming down their faces. After the video I bore quick testimony about how much God loves families (they're not married, but have 2 kids and 1 on the way). It was really awesome. As we got up to leave, she said "Wait, Elders. I feel like I need to be at church. I will be there this Sunday. So that was a suuuper cool experience! :)

This Christmas was definitely one to remember! It wasn’t a white Christmas, but it was filled with the light of Christ and a lot of great and fun memories. Christmas here is really cool because the people here don’t have much so Christmas is really only about Christ. I’ve learned a lot about our Savior on my mission and am so grateful for his example and that through Him I can find true peace and help others feel His love for them too. It's my testimony that Christ lives, and that through His atoning sacrifice we can change our lives for the better and someday eventually return to live with Him someday.

I love you all and wish you a Happy New Year!

Love,
Elder Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment