Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

Write to Elder Butterfield:

Current address:

Elder Nathan Butterfield
19014 Hickory Street
Sonoma CA 95476


Previous addresses:

155 Kathy Ellen Dr.
Vallejo, CA 94951

Week 20: Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 16, 2015

So basically the entire Nation and their dogs were outside on Valentine’s Day! Ask me how many of them wanted to talk to the missionaries. The answer is none. Haha, so yeah :). There was a super nice couple in the ward who took all the missionaries out to eat though! I got a California Cheese Steak with Au Jus, it was so good!

This week we were challenged to teach 3 lessons a day! The average for this area in the past has been about 3 lessons a week, so right off the bat we knew that we probably where not going to be able to up our lessons by 18 in just one week. We were able to teach 10 lessons though! We have also been challenged to, each day, contact 20 people, teach 3 lessons, and invite at least 1 person to baptism. On Thursday and Friday we were able to accomplish that goal!

Going into this week, we had not met or taught pretty much anyone in Sonoma, because we white-washed in. We weren't sure how we were going to manage the challenges, but in my personal study I was reading in 1st Nephi, and I came across my favorite scripture: (I'm sure you've all read it about a million times, haha)

1 Nephi 3 : 7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

This scripture always gives me strength, knowing that God will prepare a way for all of His commandments to be accomplished, but then I came upon another scripture that I haven't really payed attention to!

Verse 15 But behold I said unto them that: As the Lord liveth, and as we live, we will not go down unto our father in the wilderness until we have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us.

Wow. This verse really hit me. This is the attitude we need to have when facing challenges and following commandments! So often we try to do something, and if we don't quite accomplish the task, we say "well, I tried my best! Oh well!" But that's not good enough! We need to have the same attitude that Nephi had, and not back down, not give up, until we have accomplished what the Lord has commanded.

I know that the Lord lives. I know that this is the true church. My life has been flipped upside since coming on a mission. I know stronger than ever, that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and by following its guide, we can obtain eternal life. If you are reading this, and have never had the chance to read the Book of Mormon for yourself, please take my advice and drop everything of no value in your life, and READ IT!

John Bytheway once asked himself what his most inefficient time of his day was, and he decided that it was between 10-12 at night, when he watched TV. He decided that instead of wasting that time, he would go to bed at 10, and wake up 2 hours earlier. He decided to use that time in the morning to write a book. After only 4 months that book was on the shelf. What would he have had to show for his time if he had just been wasting his time watching TV?

I challenge you to look at your lives and do what John Bytheway did! Sacrifice a little TV watching time, and read the Book of Mormon. It will have eternal consequences :)
That's all I have for this week :) I love this Gospel, I love Jesus, and I love you all!

Love,
Elder Butterfield



That's my companion, Elder Tyson Smith from Farmington, Utah!

No comments:

Post a Comment